24 November 2009

Love this Excerpt

I found this floating around my computer. It is from a class I took a few years ago on visual criticism and theory. It was literally the best class I've ever taken. Period.

“Junk has its place in aesthetics; one hallmark of cultural garbage is that an item becomes a throwaway commodity only after being used. Like the word weed, with which it shares many interesting traits, junk is a matter of perception. It is not a specific item or class of items per se. Rather it is what we call certain objects as we are on our way to root them out. Often the weeds become so interesting, or so indomitable, that we call them wildflower gardens instead.”
James B. Twitchell, “Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz”






http://www.kerismith.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love you!