07 June 2011

Adventures in Veganism: Perfect Summer Dinner

It preeeeetty hot here these days. However, not terrible by our standards. I made this yummy fresh dinner tonight and pretended I was having a pretty picnic in a pretty park with a pretty breeze and all my pretty friends.

Here's what I made!
Kale salad, curried potato salad, and corn on the cob. Mmm.

Brief confession: I'm kinda a terrible cook. Not the worst by any means. The thing is, I kinda hate following recipes. Recipes are like a whole buncha rules and I really just wanna break em. You'd think  after screwing up recipes all the time I'd learn my lesson. I'm getting there. These are simple recipes that you can doctor and adjust to your tastes and it'll still be delish! Here's what ya do.

Kale Salad- One of my most favorite salads of all time is the Kale salad from True Food Kitchen. Only problem, it's covered in parmesan cheese.  Here's my cheese-less version. This little mixture is so fresh and light. I love love love kale.

A bunch of kale
1 lemon
1-2 cloves of Garlic
A smidge of olive oil
Pepper to taste

Roughly chop the kale. Using a grater or a microplane (if you don't have one get one. I love my microplane. It's magical) zest the lemon (half the lemon if you'd prefer) and squeeze the juice of half the lemon into a bowl. Add a clove of fresh garlic and a bit of olive oil. Stir in some fresh ground pepper and toss the mixture with the kale. If you'd like, you could add some red pepper flakes for a little kick. That's it! Yum!

Curried Potato Salad- Another thing I love- curry powder. I put it on everything. Here's a yummy vegan twist on boring, traditional potato salad.

A handful of baby potatoes
Onion (as much or as little as you prefer)
1 tbsp Vegenaise
Curry powder (as much or as little as you prefer)
Sprinkling of cinnamon
Splash of jerk seasoning (or red pepper flakes. or neither)
Dash of salt
Fresh parsley

Slice up your potatoes, toss them in a pot, and boil until tender. Mix up Vegenaise, lots of curry powder, a little cinnamon, and a sprinkling of jerk seasoning for some spice. Toss potatoes with the yummy mixture. Throw in some freshly chopped onion and parsley. Salt to taste. Nom!

One of the best parts of summer is corn on the cob!! I love going to my grandpa's farm in upstate New York and filling my belly with lots of corn. Boil yourself (or grill- even better!) up and ear and you've got a yummy dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love you!