09 October 2009

i'mbaaack!


I baaaack! In honor of World Vegetarian Month the folks over at Veg news are promoting Vegan MoFo (Vegan Month of Food), "a yearly celebration of culinary creations that challenges participants to blog about food every week day for the entire month of October" so I though, what the heck! So though I may not be able to keep up I will still put forth a little effort. Heck, maybe it will be back in blogging mode. Check out the interview with Isa Chandra Moskowitz here- http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/page.do?pageId=950&catId=5


First I'll start off by talking a little bit about myself and my path to vegetarianism. I had tried off and on through college after taking a class called The Sciology of Food. In the class we read and watched alot of really terrible things, however it never really stuck. But after more and more investigation as well as some long, hard looks at my life, I changed my ways. I had an emotional year and kept thinking about how I wanted to live my life and what things were important to me. The first change I made was becoming a vegetarian and it was the easiest and smartest choice I've ever made.


I became a vegetarian for a lot of reasons but the main reasons are regarding food safety and the farming culture. As the grand-daughter of a dairy farmer I see first hand the ways in which big agricultural companies are negatively effecting small farmers. Furthermore, the more I hear about the food production systems here in America (especially compared to other countries) I am hurt and, frankly, pretty concerned.


If you haven't already seen it, I suggest you go see the movie Food, Inc. Unlike many other sources the movie veers away from the shock and awe of showing how poorly animals are treated. Don't get me wrong I think it is horrifying and necessary for people to know but I feel like its a little passe and trite. This movie focus on food as a business and gives a different spin on things. It's great. Check it out here- http://www.foodincmovie.com/

Picture found here http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=32317360&ref=sr_gallery_20&&ga_search_query=vegetable+&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love you!